30 June 2019

Tax Talk

I have not yet decided who I will vote for in the Democratic primary, a vote that will be more than eight months from now for me. I like several of the major candidates.

One of them is Liz Warren, who recently put forward a tax proposal that should be of interest to every LGBT American. She currently is sponsoring the Refund Equality Act which would let same-sex couples file amended tax returns to collect refunds from when they were married before the federal government recognized such unions.

So let's say you were married in Massachusetts in 2006 but the federal government did not recognize same-sex marriages and their tax advantages until 2013. Under Warren's proposal, such a couple could file for refunds for tax years 2006 through 2013.

This would return as much as $57 millions to American same-sex couples.

So this alone did not commit me to voting to Warren but I like her inclusive thinking. She and most of the Democrats running would be far better Presidents than the corrupt clown now squatting in the Oval Office. The differences are like night and day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up!