20 January 2018

Believe Me

Today is the one-year anniversary of Donald Trump being inaugurated as President. Rather than focus on the more than two thousand documented lies he has told in office, The Washington Monthly instead published an article yesterday (link here) that highlights some of Trump's most preposterous lies and how he so often bookends these by saying one or several times "believe me."

Some highlights:

"Because I’m going to be working for you, I’m not going to have time to go play golf. Believe me. Believe me folks."

"And you know what else? I have great respect for women, believe me."

"Believe me, I’ll change things. And again, we’re going to be so respected."

"I will do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology. Believe me."

"We will not answer to donors or lobbyists or special interests, but we will serve the citizens of the United States of America, believe me."

"The world is in trouble, but we’re going to straighten it out. OK? That’s what I do. I fix things. We’re going to straighten it out. Believe me."

"We will terminate Obamacare and replace it, believe me, with something good."

"I will build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me. I would have Mexico pay for it. Believe me, they will pay for it."

This brings us to an easy conclusion: when Trump says "believe me" he's really saying "I'm lying."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up!